Artist search

Aparte de JAN, hay otros autores que también lo hacen bastante bien...

Moderador: Kaximpo

xtramirez
Ectoplasma Mediúmico

Mensaje por xtramirez »

I was looking for a spanish comic forum so I could ask for some unidentified artists, in my effort for indexing the "Agori" anthology. By the way, are there more spanish comic forums?

In Greece we have greekcomics.gr which is rather popular (well, as popular as a comic forum can be), because it 's not just a forum, but also an on-line comics encyclopaedia, that contains almost all the covers of comics that have been printed in Greek - ever. A catalogue-book was also issued a few years by the guys that run the forum, but of course the site is much richer in information.
xtramirez
Ectoplasma Mediúmico

Mensaje por xtramirez »

Is this character also by Jan who created Super Lopez? Because the style is very similar...
magin
Señor de los Chupetes
Contactar:

Mensaje por magin »

xtramirez escribió:Is this character also by Jan who created Super Lopez? Because the style is very similar...
No, you are wrong.

The original name of the character and its series is: "Benito Boniato".

The surname "boniato" is a joke because it sounds almost like the name. A "boniato" is something similar to a potato.

The creator is, well, are two brothers: they signed as "Fresno's" in which the "s" could mean the plural.

The resemblances to Superlópez may come from several causes:

1.-Same Spanish publisher: Editorial Bruguera.
2.-Same years of creation: along te the late-seventies.
3.-The cover of that magazine comes from a long adventure of "Benito Boniato" made by parodies such as the one of Superman. The traslation of the title in Spanis is "Benito Boniato Superhero of the Comic" (or Comic's Superhero?) in which the usual teeneager student is upset of the normal daylife as a comic character as invented by his creator (in this case, it only appear one of Fresno's brothers drawn along the pages). Benito asks for adventures like the greatest in American comic books, and also as 007.

As Superlópez is also a parody of Superman in several aspects, and specially in the seventees, the resemblance Superlópez/Benito Boniato is clearly logical.

Nonetheless, it is also similar to several aspects (hands, shoes...) of the agents Mortadelo y Filemón (Αντιριξ και Συμφωνιξ or Antirix kai Symphonix) by artist Ibáñez.

4.-Also there is Franquin, the Belgian comic creator of Spirou and Gaston. He is the inspiration for many artists: Ibáñez, Jan or Fresno's' Benito Boniato.

Fresno's': it hurts writing it like that.
Sospechoso, sospechoso. Tome nota, teniente.
>2000 maginotecas
xtramirez
Ectoplasma Mediúmico

Mensaje por xtramirez »

Yes, there are similarities with Ibanez as well. Thank you for the very useful information magin... :D
magin
Señor de los Chupetes
Contactar:

Mensaje por magin »

xtramirez escribió:Yes, there are similarities with Ibanez as well. Thank you for the very useful information magin... :D
Let me tell you a secret: years ago I thought the same things as you: is this character made by the same artist as that another character?

Whatsmore there is another forum, "our brother forum", named "latiacomforo" in which today there are people asking that but with more dark characters: could it be this signature another name for X o could it be this character drawn by Y?

Please, tells us more about greekcomics.gr
Última edición por magin el Mar Jun 14, 2016 1:02 pm, editado 1 vez en total.
>2000 maginotecas
omen666
Chupóptero Negro

Mensaje por omen666 »

Hello, xtramirez.
Unlike magin, I do not think JAN have a source of inspiration in Franquin, which it has been demonstrated that occurs with Ibañez and is very likely to occur with the Fresno brothers.

For your comments, we know you're Greek. We have evidence that in Ayopi magazine, which you have show us an image, was published during a short period of time our Super Lopez. Leveraging your knowledge, maybe you could tell us if that was the only time the character was published in Greece or have been published in more occasions in your country.
"...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."
Revelations ch. XIII v. 18
magin
Señor de los Chupetes
Contactar:

Mensaje por magin »

I was not talking about a strong influence from Franquin.

At least until 1990s. Not the first time I comment on this.
>2000 maginotecas
xtramirez
Ectoplasma Mediúmico

Mensaje por xtramirez »

Sorry for the long abscence. Work has been keeping me busy.

Omen666, there have been no other appearances of Super Lopez in Agori or anywhere else. After the Lopez comic (issues 555 to 563) they printed the Benito Boniato comic (issues 564 to 578) and finito.

magin, greekcomics.gr started in 2006 with the intent to catalogue all comics in Greek and has succeded almost 100%. There are a few covers still missing but it 's a long proccess that depends on the contribution of scans from members all over the country. Aside from a comics catalogue that was printed, an effort was made to print the Storm albums drawn by Don Lawrence. There were to be 11 hardcovers in total, each containing 2 albums, but the effort stuck at 9 hc books because the sales were not as high as expected.
xtramirez
Ectoplasma Mediúmico

Mensaje por xtramirez »

OK, one more inquiry. I believe the artist of this story is Felix Carrion, but I haven 't found out its original title. It could be from a Joyas Literarias Juveniles book but I don 't know which, and I believe that the story is not printed in Greek from the beginning (unfortunately it happened sometimes). Can you help me find it? The greek title is "I travelled with Morgan the pirate". Thank you in advance...
Raul1981
Chupninja
Contactar:

Mensaje por Raul1981 »

magin escribió:I was not talking about a strong influence from Franquin.

At least until 1990s. Not the first time I comment on this.
¿Son aquí las clases de inglés del foro escarolitrópico? :roll: A ver si así apruebo para septiembre.

It's only a joke. Go on, please :wink:
"Tranquilo... si esto lo leen cuatro gatos. Como tú..."
magin
Señor de los Chupetes
Contactar:

Mensaje por magin »

Pasa que el colega no domina el petiso.
>2000 maginotecas
Kaximpo
Señor de los Chupetes
Contactar:

Mensaje por Kaximpo »

xtramirez escribió:OK, one more inquiry. I believe the artist of this story is Felix Carrion, but I haven 't found out its original title. It could be from a Joyas Literarias Juveniles book but I don 't know which, and I believe that the story is not printed in Greek from the beginning (unfortunately it happened sometimes). Can you help me find it? The greek title is "I travelled with Morgan the pirate". Thank you in advance...
There is an Emilio Salgari's "Morgan" (Joyas Literarias #242) but it's credited to Tomás Porto del Vado.

http://seronoser.free.fr/bruguera/joyas ... istado.htm

I've been reading titles of the stories by Carrión and just "La promesa del Corsario Negro" seems to be a pirates' story.
http://www.tebeosfera.com/obras/numeros ... 0_183.html

5 Un Yanki en la Corte del Rey Arturo Mark Twain Cassarel Antonio Bernal Felix carrión Cenamor
19 Ricardo Corazón de león Joseph Lacier Julio Fernández López Antonio Bernal Felix Carrión Cenamor
37 Ruta al Infierno Howard Stanley Alberto Cuevas Hortelano Antonio Bernal Felix Carrión Cenamor
71 Aventuras del Capitán Hatteras Julio Verne Alberto Cuevas Hortelano Antonio Bernal Felix Carrión Cenamor
74 El Capitán Aventurero Walter Scott Cassarel Antonio Bernal Felix Carrión Cenamor
75 De los Apeninos a los Andes Edmundo D, Amicis Alberto Cuevas Hortelano Antonio Bernal Felix Carrión Cenamor
76 El Rey del Mar Emilio Salgari Cassarel Antonio Bernal Felix Carrión Cenamor
85 Los Pescadores de Trepang Emilio Salgari Andrés Martín Farrero Antonio Bernal Felix Carrión Cenamor
86 Los Mercaderes de Pieles R. M. Ballantyne Andrés Martín Farrero Antonio Bernal Felix Carrión Cenamor
87 Botín de Saqueo Karl May Andrés Martín Farrero Antonio Bernal Felix Carrión Cenamor
99 Los Buscadores de Oro Enrique Conscience Armonía Rodríguez Lázaro Antonio Bernal Felix Carrión Cenamor
183 La Promesa del Corsario Negro Emilio Salgari Cassarel Antonio Bernal Felix Carrión Cenamor

Edited: it seems it's not "Morgan".
http://leercomics-online.blogspot.com.e ... organ.html

Not "El rey del mar"
http://leercomics-online.blogspot.com.e ... l-mar.html

Not "El capitán aventurero"
http://leercomics-online.blogspot.com.e ... urero.html

Not "Hatteras".
http://leercomics-online.blogspot.com.e ... teras.html

Not "Corsario Negro" (I don't see that page).
http://leercomics-online.blogspot.com.e ... negro.html

Are you sure it's by Carrion? There is another Morgyn (not Morgan) The Mighty drawn by Felix Carrion that doesn't seem to be a pirate...
http://comicsuk.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2210
http://www.victorhornetcomics.co.uk/morgyn.html
"¿Es usted es superhéroe por convicción o por incapacidad de ser otra cosa...?"
https://www.cachislamar.com · Pafman · Yoko Tsuno
xtramirez
Ectoplasma Mediúmico

Mensaje por xtramirez »

I apologise. It was another case of "mistaken identity". The artist is most likely Jim (or James) Bleach, known for his work on "Alf Tupper, tough of the track" etc.
xtramirez
Ectoplasma Mediúmico

Mensaje por xtramirez »

It appears that the "Pirate Morgan" strip had been printed in Hotspur magazine.

By the way, were you aware that there was a "Trueno" anthology in Greek? The main story was Capitan Trueno of course and the rest a mixture of English strips and stories from UK Annuals and Special issues...
Responder